Monday, December 03, 2007

The meaning of a sentence you can't pin down

A friend recently put up a very simple post suggesting a great movie title. That is -- a movie title that would be great (even if the movie is not).

Bride of Frankenstein's Monster's Ghost!!!

Why is it so great? Well I can't be sure that he loves the ambiguity as much as I do but he did complete his M.A. in linguistics (now working on a PhD in classics) and he's a true student of language--so I'm sure the several readings didn't escape him.

Who is the main character of this movie?

Is it the ghost of the bride (which bride is married to Frankenstein's Monster)?
[Bride of [[Frankenstein]'s Monster]]'s Ghost

Is it the ghost of the Monster (which monster belongs to Frankenstein's Bride)?
[[Bride of [Frankenstein]]'s Monster]'s Ghost

Is it the bride (who is married to the ghost of Frankenstein's Monster)?
Bride of [[[Frankenstein]'s Monster]'s Ghost]

Nice title Dave. I would like to be given the script of the film's writing's consultancy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you appreciated it, Mike. I am still laughing at the analysis of my little joke's ambiguities that you made. Rest assured that when I work out this monstrosity's plot you will be brought in for the "script of the film's writing's consultancy". Then you can tell me what your job is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a little like the real-world example of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What exactly is a "Chris Steakhouse"?

    But dave--don't you see? I'm only asking for the script.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reaching out.

You can also contact me at wishydig[at]gmail[d0t]com.