Friday, December 07, 2007

I have some ideas for what I should write in my head

Three's the charm. One more syntactical ambiguity example then no more posts like this until after the new year.

A recent post at languagehat.com provides...well a sentence fragment. A noun phrase really:

"A perfect encapsulation of the asininity of the usual simplistic 'if you come here, you should speak English' attitude at xkcd."

That's fine. I like fragments. I like using them. Sometimes they're necessary. For instance now. But the fragmentation...fragmentalism...fragmentality... well none of those is the theme of this post.

My first time thru the line I read it this way (roughly): [here is] a perfect encapsulation of the asininity of the usual simplistic 'if you come here, you should speak English' attitude that we often find at xkcd.

So I thought Really? xkcd is usually not too bad. I followed the link. I read the cartoon. And I thought hmmm...I must have misread languagehat's post.

It makes sense now read (roughly): [here is] a perfect encapsulation of the asininity of the usual simplistic 'if you come here, you should speak English' attitude presented satirically by the fine folks at xkcd.

It's a tough one to restructure. Even in the short comment I left at languagehat the distinction is tricky. There's a semantic waviness on this one because even if xkcd provided the encapsulation and did it knowingly it would still be possible to read the sentence with the implication xkcd believes this argument and it's clearly a dumb one. Syntactically there's a clear difference between these two structures:

  1. encapsulation of [the stupidity of [the attitude at xkcd]]

  2. encapsulation of [the stupidity of [the attitude]] at xkcd


But semantically both can be criticizing xkcd's ideas. While only the second syntactic structure allows xkcd the possibility of being a fellow derider of the attitude.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah. And I feel bad about it. Now my post is talking about this ambiguous construction that's floating out there in the ether.

    Did I dream the whole thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least hat was kind enough to acknowledge your comment and say he was rewriting it. He could have "Bobby Ewinged" you and pretended he'd written that way the first time.

    Then you'd really be left wondering...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reaching out.

You can also contact me at wishydig[at]gmail[d0t]com.