Saturday, December 06, 2008

Is sloppy the new moist?

From an AP story about Sean Avery's NHL suspension

“I’m really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada,” he said. “I just want to comment on how it’s become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my (former girlfriends). I don’t know what that’s about, but enjoy the game tonight.” He then walked out.


Legend: (former girlfriends) = sloppy seconds

What's wrong with the line? Too picturesque? Too evocative? Or is it the dismissiveness of referring to a person in such an objectifying manner?

When I first heard Avery make the comment about sloppy seconds I thought he was talking about all the goals that other players make from picking up rebounds of his shots on goal. Seriously.

5 comments:

  1. So the NHL allows players to PUNCH EACH OTHER IN THE FACE (repeatedly) but not say "sloppy seconds?" Good job, Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. consenting adults casey. the way nhl players enforce their own rules of etiquette is a thing of beauty. it's more honest and pure than any other professional sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the most disgusting phrases around, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the rationale I saw was that the NHL czars didn't want fans to have to explain the phrase to their children.

    I've heard this reasoning before, and I don't know if I agree with it.

    mentali

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes i've heard that 'protect the kids' argument. don't like it. there is nothing wrong with parents explaining things to kids. it's simply not a bad thing.

    it's really a 'protect the parents' concern.

    i really don't want to judge a writer or editor who doesn't want to use the phrase. we trust them to include what's necessary and leave out what's not. the fact that unnecessary specificity is also (as the ridger points out) kinda disturbing is fine with me. write your stories as you will.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reaching out.

You can also contact me at wishydig[at]gmail[d0t]com.